Thursday 4 December 2014

Blogmas Day Four: My Favourite Gingerbread

There are 21 days left before Christmas and I AM FULL OF SUGAR ALREADY!!! I baked and iced gingerbread today in order to practice my cookie icing skills. I realize now that I have zero cookie icing skills. That's why you practice before you commit to bringing seven dozen iced sugar cookies to a party, right? Thankfully I have no party to go to and get to eat this batch of cookies all by myself, explaining the abundance of sugar in my system)! These cookies are simple and taste great.


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup corn syrup
5 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbs ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup milk

Instructions:
Beat shortening and sugar untill fluffy. Beat in corn syrup. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients. With wooden spoon stir into shortening alternately with milk. Mix with hands when the dough becomes too stiff to stir. Bake at 340f until lightly brown around the edges. Icing is optional.

I recommend freezing half this batch to use at a later date. I find this to be very handy if things become busy during December an you need something homemade in a hurry.

Enjoy your baking. 

Until next time, 
Kyra


No comments:

Post a Comment